I packed up my bags and my computer and spent the weekend in Kelowna. Now usually when I go to Kelowna its for some summertime fun, so the change of scenery and weather was actually quite refreshing! We left on Thursday afternoon and hit the road. First stop was obviously for some coffee, and the second in Hope, for some gas and snacks. No road trip is complete without them. The Coquihalla had some treats in store as it began to pour as soon as we reached the pass. However, after only a few incidences of hydroplaning, we were soon crossing over the Okanagan Lake and rolling up to the apartments.

First stop was the grocery store for the bare necessities of toaster waffles, eggs and coffee. Soon after we hit the local sushi spot and took our order to go so we could unpack and eat it at home while we watched some TV. Night one ended pretty slow, just working on some last minute homework to submit before the weekend and cleaning up dinner. The next morning we woke up in no rush, and had a lazy morning to start. Our friends came up the next day at around 4 o’clock and we just caught up and hung around until we were ready to hit the town.

Of course, hitting the town looks a little bit different than it used to. Every restaurant has a 1.5 hour wait as they are all operating at half capacity, so we put our names down everywhere we could to see where we got in first. While we waited, we decided to try a smaller little BBQ joint called Memphis Blues Barbeque House & Catering Co. in downtown Kelowna. 10/10 would recommend their deep fried pickles and salt & pepper wings, it made the wait to get into Craft Beer Market much easier. After finally getting into Craft, we enjoyed our night of beers from all over BC and made our way home.

Saturday morning was a slow start, but after a trip through the Starbucks drive thru we were ready for the day. We headed for the Kangaroo Creek Farm, where I saw kangaroos for the first time and all sorts of other animals. After a few hours there, we headed for the waterfront where we walked the pier before heading to Earls for happy hour and a view of the lake.

After a night of catching up with friends, we woke up Sunday morning and headed out again for a final breakfast at Cora. We said our goodbyes and waved our friends off by noon, before heading home for a much needed afternoon nap after out late night. We spent our last day in Kelowna at the apartment for a chill day filled with movies, popcorn and good company. Monday morning rolled around and we were woken up to another day of morning classes, before packing up ourselves to make the trip back home. The Coquihalla was a bit more forgiving on the road home, however the traffic was not. A quick 5 hours later we pulled up at home, and the reality set in that the weekend doesn’t last forever.

xx Savannah